Saturday, January 16, 2010

My New Favorite Recipe

So, for the last few years of my life I have really taken it upon myself to cook my own meals and/or cook for others. Naturally this process happens as you get older, hungrier and more demanding of the timing of your meals, i.e. - late nights, early mornings, the twenty minutes you have available between your plans for the day.
Now for the most part this process has led me to creative Ramen recipes (another post for another day) and interesting cold cut sammiches (sandwiches). Let's just say until a few months ago my life was different. Before the recipe, the backstory.
It was a sunday, it was cold, football was being watched. I had the hankerin' to make my own chili. If anyone knows me at all, they would know his could be close to impossible: I don't like beans, I really don't like big tomato chunks and I really really don't like big onion chunks. So I basically eliminated 65% of the average chili. What did that mean? It meant I had to make a very B.A. ('Bove Average) chili. Long story short, I made a three meat chili and it was pretty tasty. HOWEVER, with the leftovers... I took some cheese and melted it into the chili and I was blown away. At this point in time I knew I had a delicacy in creation: A Chili-Cheese dip for the ages.

THE RECIPE

Warning: Unfortunately, this recipe is definitely not designed for those "anti-meat" people out there.

You'll need: Ingredients, frying pan, crockpot, love.

Ingredients:

3 small cans of Tomato Paste
1 hunk of green onions
1 white onion
Varied Spices: Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Hot Sauce (add to your liking of spiciness)


About 10 ounces of Chicken Tenders from your meat department
1 8 ounce hunk of Pork Chorizo
1 bag of shredded Mexican or Taco cheese
1 jar of Tostitos Smooth and Cheesy cheese dip
Your favorite BBQ dry rub
Your favorite BBQ Sauce
Olive Oil or Canola Oil


In this picture I have an already cooked Rotisserie chicken because I was pressed for time.
Directions:

1. Put three cans of tomato paste into crockpot set on high. Fill up 2 of the empty cans with water and add water to crockpot.
2. Finely mince both onions, throw into frying pan and add necessary amount of oil. Caramelize the onions until well... they look carmel-y. Once carmel-y add onions to crockpot.

3. Throw still raw chicken tenders onto still oil-y frying pan. Cook thoroughly and will cooking add BBQ dry rub. Once they look almost done, start tearing chicken tenders into smaller chunks... add BBQ dry rub again while tearing.
4. Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, dump it in a adequate sized bowl and then add a healthy amount of BBQ sauce and mix throughout. Add to crockpot.
5. Add chorizo to frying pan and cook thoroughly, drain chorizo in a colander to get rid of the excess grease, then dump into crockpot.

The key to this recipe is in timing. You want the above ingredients to "get to know each other in the pot" for a while, as Kevin from The Office would say. Leave the crockpot on high and stir these ingredients around until it looks like a healthy chunky chili. Let it all sit in the crockpot and cook together on high until it starts to bubble up. At this point put the crock pot on low and let it simmer and cook a while also (time allowing).

6. 15-20 minutes prior to serving add shredded cheese and stir throughout the chili.
7. Soon as shredded cheese is mixed well, add Tostitos cheese dip and stir again.
8. Open up your favorite kind of tortilla chips and serve!

If you do all those things properly and add a lotta love, your dip will be bigger than Zack Morris' hairdo and cellphone combined.









1 comment:

  1. Nice. I liked the shoutout to The Office and I believe you are referring to Zach Morris's CORDLESS phone- not cellphone. But still, the point struck a sentimental chord in this child of the 90s.

    ReplyDelete